VCU professor, Maury Hutcheson, guides students while on study abroad.

Education Abroad

Transfer Credit Process

There are two types of study abroad choices at VCU:

  • Programs in which students earn VCU credit for work done abroad (VCU faculty-led programs and the VCU-Qatar exchange).
  • Programs in which students earn credit that must be transferred back to VCU (ISEP, partnerships, departmental exchanges, affiliate programs and alternative programs). Transcripts come from either a foreign institution of higher education or another domestic US institution (Note: The program must be approved by the Education Abroad office in order for the student to be eligible to receive transfer credit).

How do we transfer credit?

  • Students must turn in an exchange application or registration packet to the Education Abroad office. It is important for students to turn in the necessary paperwork to the Education Abroad office so that we have an official record of the students who will be studying abroad.
  • Once the exchange application or registration packet is received, VCU Education Abroad will register the student for a 12 credit STUA placeholder course (6 credit STUA course in the summer). The STUA course does not generate VCU tuition but serves as a placeholder that allows study abroad students to maintain their VCU student status and gives them access to their financial aid, institutional scholarships, e-services, the VCU library, and their VCU email.
  • Students must meet with their VCU academic advisor to discuss course equivalencies and complete the course approval form before they study abroad.
  • Students are responsible for listing their proposed courses on the course approval form.
  • The academic advisor allocates a VCU course equivalent (but cannot award credit) for each course a student plans to take abroad and then signs the course approval form.
  • If classes have not been approved by the academic advisor in advance, the student is emailed and prompted to do so before the transcript is able to be processed.
  • Upon receipt of the course approval form and transcript from the host institution, the credits are then processed by the Education Abroad office and transferred to VCU.
  • Once the credits are transferred, the courses can be viewed at the top of the student’s e-services transcript page. (Please note that the STUA placeholder course will remain on the student’s VCU transcript)
  • The student’s file remains open for an academic year; the file may be re-opened if necessary.

Please remember:

  • Credit is awarded by the international credential evaluator in the Global Education Office, Mr. Wayan “Mas” Mastriyana.
  • The academic advisor assigns corresponding VCU equivalencies. (Ex. Foreign university course: IBUS 2101 International Business Strategy = VCU’s MKTG 378.)
  • The Banner System cannot transfer ELEC XXX. You must assign a department code and level to each course (Ex. ENGR 2XX)
  • If there is no exact VCU equivalent for a course taken abroad, please list the dept code (POLI) and “1xx,” “2xx,” “3xx,” etc… depending on the level you feel is appropriate based on the course description.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to request that the study abroad transcript be sent directly from the host institution to the Education Abroad office.
  • We cannot transfer credit that doesn’t appear on the study abroad transcript.
  • In order to transfer credits from study abroad, our office needs an official transcript and a signed course approval form that reflects the classes appearing on the student’s transcript from the foreign university.
  • Study Abroad transcripts must be mailed to: VCU Education Abroad, P.O. Box 843043, Richmond VA 23284-3043.
Back to top