GEO staff are available to advise you about on and off-campus housing options and determine which options best fit your needs. Staff can also review rental agreements (“leases”) upon request.
It is important that you arrive on campus early to allow several days to find housing before the orientation and registration sessions. You should also budget funds to cover at least two weeks of temporary housing in Richmond and cover the substantial deposits and rental fees required upon signing a lease.
Students and scholars who apply for space in on-campus residence halls by the annual deadline in February are guaranteed on-campus housing. Those who apply after the deadline are not guaranteed a space.
University housing contracts are for a full ten- or 12-month period (including both fall and spring semesters) and are binding contracts that may not be broken.
On-campus housing rates ranged from $5,000-7,750 per year in 2014-2015.
Student and scholars living in on-campus housing may participate in VCU Dining Services meal plans.
Families cannot be accommodated in on-campus housing.
International students and scholars interested in on-campus housing should visit VCU Residential Life and Housing for more information.
International Student Housing Agreement — Fill out the housing agreement form and submit online.
There are many options for housing on and near campus. You should plan to arrive in the U.S. early enough to secure housing prior to International Student Orientation.
Off-campus apartments are available within walking and biking distance. The estimated cost for an apartment is $800-$1,400 per month. Most apartments do not have furniture, and most require a one-year lease and a security deposit.
You may need temporary housing in Richmond until you find permanent housing. There are many local hotels with reasonable rates. You should budget funds to cover at least two weeks of temporary housing in Richmond and cover the substantial deposits and rental fees required upon signing a lease (approximately $2,400).
There any many apartment buildings and rental agents near the VCU campus. GEO does not endorse any of these.
- 8 ½ Canal at 8 ½ West Canal St. (includes furniture)
- 1200 W. Marshall at 1200 W. Marshall St. (includes furniture)
- The Berkshire at 300 West Franklin St.
- Cary-Belvidere Apartments at 601 W. Cary St.
- The Chesterfield at 900 W. Franklin St.
- Clachan Properties at 1320 W. Broad, Suite A
- Coliseum Lofts at 1359 W. Broad St.
- The Edison at 718 E. Franklin St.
- Gresham Court at 1030 W. Franklin St.
- Metro Properties at 200 West Franklin St.
- Monroe Park Towers at 520 West Franklin St.
- Monroe Properties at 116 E. Franklin St.
- Park Plaza at 515 W. Franklin St.
- Pierce Arrow Properties at 2709 W. Cary St.
- Pine Court Apartments at 611-619 W. Cary St & 705-715 W. Cary St.
- Residences at the John Marshall at 5th and E. Franklin St.
- The Square Apartments at 900 W. Grace St.
- The Towers on Franklin at 104 West Franklin St.
You may also check the following for classified listings for apartments around VCU, including the Fan, Oregon Hill and Jackson Ward areas:
NOTE: We encourage students and scholars to wait until they arrive in Richmond before committing to an apartment contract. It is difficult to tell from the internet the true condition of an apartment, the safety of an area or the character of a potential roommate.
Hotels within walking distance to the VCU Monroe Park Campus:
- Linden Row Inn: 100 E. Franklin Street, 804-783-7000, www.lindenrowinn.com
- Holiday Inn Express - Downtown: 201 E. Cary Street, 804-788-1600
- Jefferson Hotel: 101 W. Franklin Street, 804-649-4750, www.jeffersonhotel.com
- Hostelling International Richmond: 7 N. Second Street, (804) 729-5410 https://www.hiusa.org/hostels/virginia/richmond/richmond
International students and scholars with questions about off-campus housing should email ISSP@vcu.edu.Back to top