Richard T. Robertson School of Media and Culture
Global Media Visiting Scholar Program
The Global Media Visiting Scholar program offers university faculty, doctoral students as well as media executives and professionals from around the world the opportunity to undertake one or two semester(s) (up to 6 or 12 months) of research and creative activities in the Richard T. Robertson School of Media and Culture at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) in Richmond, Virginia, U.S.A.
The program recruits competent, active, motivated, and intellectually dedicated individuals who are working on significant scholarly (research or creative) projects. Collaboration is a key part of the program and each visiting scholar or professional is matched with at least one faculty member in the Robertson School.
Some (but not all) of the scholarly activities that visiting scholars/professionals are engaged in include:
- Connecting with Robertson School faculty in discussing common interests and developing scholarly collaborations
- Opportunity to present scholarly work or experience to the VCU community or at other professional venues
- Opportunity to visit media and communication practice outlets in Richmond, Washington D.C., and/or other locations.
- Opportunity to visit with select Robertson School graduate and undergraduate classes and engage in scholarly exchanges with faculty and students (subject to School’s prior approval)
- Opportunity to enroll in VCU courses for non-native English speakers at an additional fee
- Opportunity to access campus resources and facilities such as libraries, wireless internet connection on campus, recreational facilities, etc. (subject to VCU regulations)
- University faculty, doctoral students as well as media executives and professionals from around the world
- Competent, active, motivated, and intellectually dedicated individuals who are working on significant scholarly (research or creative) projects
- Ability to work independently on scholarly projects
- Ability to communicate in English
- Willingness to be matched and/or collaborate with a Robertson School faculty member as scholarship mentor
Application to the Program
To apply, please email:
- A letter of application;
- A brief description of the proposed topic and work plan;
- Latest curriculum vitae; and
- Names and contact details of two references knowledgeable about your suitability for this kind of project.
The application must indicate a proposed length of visit and an intended start date. We recommend to begin your visit at the beginning of a semester (fall or spring).
Program Contact Person
Please email your application package to Dr. Hong Cheng, Director, Richard T. Robertson School of Media and Culture at VCU, at email@example.com.
If accepted, applicants are required to pay a program fee of $2,500 (for a visit of up to 6 months) or $5,000 (for a visit of up to 12 months), prior to their arrival.
You are responsible for completing all necessary U.S. entry visa application procedures and paperwork. You are also responsible for making arrangements and paying for your own travel, accommodation, required health insurance, local transportation, and other living expenses.