GEO staff members are available to advise you about on and off-campus housing options and determine which options best fit your needs. Staff can also review rental agreements (“leases”) upon request.
If you do not arrange housing accommodations prior to your arrival, it is important that you arrive on campus early to allow several days to find housing before the orientation and registration sessions. You should also budget funds to cover at least two weeks of temporary housing in Richmond and cover the substantial deposits and rental fees required upon signing a lease.
On-campus housing is not guaranteed. On-campus housing assignments are made in the order in which applications are received. Before submitting an on-campus housing application, we strongly recommend that you contact GEO student engagement staff (email@example.com). International students have special circumstances and housing concerns, which can impact your on-campus housing assignment needs (please see below). We are here to assist international students with their on-campus housing concerns.
On-campus housing applications can be submitted starting on April 1, 2018 through the Residential Life and Housing website. Before you are assigned on-campus housing, you must complete the following tasks by Friday, June 8.
- Submit your housing application. June 8 is the deadline for ALL students, whether you submit through GEO student engagement staff or the Office of Residential Life and Housing.
- Officially accept your offer of admission from the International Admissions Office
- Register for the International Student & Scholar Orientation (ISSO). Please note that all undergraduate international students will automatically be registered for a two-day New Student Orientation (NSO), which will take place on Thursday - Friday, August 16 – 17. You MUST register for ISSO/NSO in order to be assigned on-campus housing.
- Conditionally Admitted Academic Students
- Academic students are conditionally admitted if they have not submitted proof of their English language proficiency (TOEFL or IELTS).
- If you would like to live on campus, you MUST contact GEO student engagement staff to submit a modified housing application. Conditionally admitted students are not able to submit housing applications through the Office of Residential Life and Housing.
- Break Housing
- Freshman residence halls will be closed for the Thanksgiving, winter and spring breaks.
- The Global Education Office has reserved a limited number of spaces in residence halls that remain open during breaks. If you plan to stay on campus for any of the breaks, you will need to complete a modified housing application by June 8. Please contact GEO student engagement staff with your request.
- If you submit your application directly to the Office of Residential Life and Housing, you will not be placed in a residence hall that offers break housing.
- Early Move-in
- Residence halls open on Saturday, August 18. International students MUST arrive by Monday, August 13 in order to attend the International Student and Scholar Orientation (ISSO) and the New Student Orientation (NSO). If you have received an on-campus housing assignment, you must inform GEO student engagement staff to arrange an early move-in on Monday, August 13.
- If you plan to arrive prior to Monday, August 13, you will need to secure short-term accommodations. VCU does not offer temporary housing. Please contact Student Engagement staff for suggestions for short-term housing.
Other Important Information
- On-campus housing rates range from $6,000 - $8,000 per year.
- Families cannot be accommodated in on-campus housing.
- If you have an on-campus housing assignment, you are required to live on campus for an entire academic year (Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 semesters). You will not be able to break this contract while still enrolled at the university.
- Your on-campus housing assignment will be sent only to your VCU email account. Housing assignments will be emailed to students between late-June and July. Please be sure to check your VCU email regularly during this time.
- What if you change your mind about living on campus?
- You will have five days from the date of your housing assignment to contact the Office of Residential Life and Housing to decline your housing assignment offer. If you do not decline your offer, you will be under contract to live on campus for the entire academic year.
- If you have ANY questions about on-campus housing, please contact GEO student engagement staff before submitting an application.
There are many options for housing on and near campus. You should plan to arrive in the U.S. early enough to secure housing prior to the International Student Orientation.
Several local hotels offer discount rates to VCU students, which you must request at the time of your booking. Hotels within walking distance to the VCU Monroe Park Campus:
- Linden Row Inn: 100 E. Franklin Street, 804-783-7000, lindenrowinn.com
- Holiday Inn Express - Downtown: 201 E. Cary Street, 804-788-1600, www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/richmond/ricec/hoteldetail
- Jefferson Hotel: 101 W. Franklin Street, 804-649-4750, jeffersonhotel.com
- Hostelling International Richmond: 7 N. Second Street, (804) 729-5410, https://www.hiusa.org/hostels/virginia/richmond/richmond