Conversation Partners Program
About the Program
GEO proudly administers the Conversation Partner Program, which provides international students and English-speaking volunteers the opportunity to learn about other people, places and cultures and to make friends with people from around the world!
Volunteers meet for at least one hour each week with VCU's international students/scholars to enable them to learn more about American culture, practice English language skills, and gain confidence in their communication abilities. Volunteers serve as cultural mentors to international students/scholars and practice cross-cultural communication skills.
Benefits of participation in the Conversation Partner Program include:
- Practice English-language communication skills
- Learn about U.S. and other cultures
- Learn about things to do in the Richmond area
- Make friends with a native-English speaker and other international students
- English-speaking Volunteers:
- Learn about other places and cultures
- Make friends with students from different cultures
- Develop intercultural communication skills
- Possibly learn a new language
How It Works
Conversation Partners are matched with one or more partners and meet at least one hour per week. Meetings may take place on or off campus. Suggested activities include: meeting for coffee, lunch, or dinner; going for a walk, going to the gym, and attending special events and activities on or off campus. This is a great opportunity to explore the city of Richmond and its rich history and culture.
For more information, email ISSP@vcu.edu.