Harris Manchester College
Oxford University Summer Research Institute
Each year the Global Education Office in collaboration with the Office of the Vice President for Research solicits applications from VCU faculty for participation in Oxford’s Harris Manchester College Summer Research Institute. The Summer Research Institute is an opportunity for faculty to enhance a research project through a week of focused study. The Institute draws scholars with diverse interests from many U.S. universities. Your time is your own for study and writing, as well as taking advantage of cultural activities offered at Oxford University.
The 2017 Summer Research Institute will be held Sunday, July 2 - Sunday, July 9, 2017
Upcoming SRI dates:
- July 1 - 8, 2018
- June 30 - July 7, 2019
- June 28 - July 5, 2020
The week includes:
- Designation as a Visiting Fellow of Harris Manchester College
- Access to Harris Manchester College computer lab and free in-room internet hook-up
- Access to all libraries at Oxford University
- Room and board at Harris Manchester College where you have the opportunity to interact with other scholars attending the Summer Institute and staff from Harris-Manchester
- Participation in the Institute and travel expenses are paid by VCU
This opportunity is open for two VCU faculty members whose research or scholarly project will benefit from the unique resources available at Oxford University and has the potential for contributing to the internationalization of VCU. To the extent possible, one applicant will be selected from the Monroe Park Campus and one applicant from the MCV Campus.
- Completed application form (see below)
- CV or CV summary not to exceed 3 pages
- Statement from the Department Chair endorsing the application
- Brief (no longer than 2 single-spaced pages, at least 10-point font) proposal for a scholarly project that meets the following criteria:
- Takes advantage of the unique resources available at Oxford (e.g., academic or research facilities, Oxford scholars, etc.);
- Includes a plan for how this project will be used to further the faculty member’s research/scholarship and/or teaching;
- Includes a discussion of the potential for this project to have a lasting impact on the internationalization of VCU.
Final award decisions are made in consultation with HMC hosts.
All application materials are due to the Global Education Office at email@example.com by Monday, March 20 at 4:30 p.m. (extended from March 13). Selected scholars will be notified no later than Monday, March 27. Electronic submissions are required. For more information about Harris-Manchester College and the Summer Research Institute, feel free to contact R. McKenna Brown, Executive Director, Global Education Office, (804) 828-8471 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Harris-Manchester website at http://www.hmc.ox.ac.uk/