Keep on Studying Abroad
COVID-19 has created unprecedented circumstances for all of us. Despite the uncertainties we face, studying abroad remains a valuable part of any student's educational experience.
During this time when much is still unknown, there are steps that you can take to maintain momentum in planning your study abroad experience.
We do not know what the future will hold. But we know it will come. And when it does you’ll want your study abroad plans to still be on track.
We are #OneVCU. And we are here to help.
Complete Rams Abroad 101
Take your first step to studying abroad. Completing the Rams Abroad 101 video series is your first step in the study abroad process. Here, you will find tips for getting started, choosing a program, finding funding, and more.
Connect virtually with an adviser
We’re still here to help. After you have completed Rams Abroad 101, connect with a study abroad adviser, to further discuss your options. Check out this encouraging video from our study abroad advisers.
|Where would you like to go?|
|Australia, New Zealand and Oceania||Europe (except UK, Ireland & France)|
|France and French-speaking locations||Latin America & Caribbean|
|Middle East||Multi-country programs|
|UK and Ireland||Russia|
|Schedule a virtual advising appointment||Schedule a virtual advising appointment|
Explore funding options
The cost of studying abroad varies depending on the program. Work with your Education Abroad adviser to find a program that fits your financial needs and budget. There are many affordable study abroad programs and your federal financial aid, institutional scholarships and more can be applied to help you fund your experience abroad.
Right now, you can start exploring funding options, like scholarships and grants that are available for study abroad. Make note of deadlines and start developing any necessary essays. Here are some resources to get you started.
Think about timing
- Did you know you can study abroad over winter break? This can be a great time to fit in a study abroad program if you are unable to go for a full semester or for a summer program. Students can gain up to 6 credits for some programs. Check out our list of winter break programs.
- The Education Abroad Office is encouraging students to plan for spring 2021 travel! Advantages for planning towards spring 2021:
- Many scholarships available for spring 2021 study open up the beginning of fall semester. See our scholarship listing for more information about deadlines.
- You’ll have plenty of time to plan and organize your academic schedule around your study abroad.
- It is never too early to be thinking about studying abroad for next summer. More information about VCU’s summer 2021 program offerings should be available early fall 2020 semester.
View or download the full, accessible version of How to be Ram Abroad infographic. The timeframes presented are suggestions. Students can speak with an adviser to get started anytime.
Get started now
When planning your study abroad, you will need to gather some information. Now is the perfect time to start exploring your options!
- Research countries and programs
- Talk with your academic adviser about the best time in your academic schedule to go abroad and what courses would be good to take
- Talk to returnees about their experience abroad. Ask an Education Abroad adviser to put you in touch with a returnee by emailing email@example.com.
Think outside the box
Virtual internships and online programs can provide you with a unique opportunity to explore global programs from the comfort of your home. While there is no substitute for an in-country experience, virtual and online programs can give you valuable information about a culture you wish to explore.
- SIT Study Abroad - Virtual internships; 3 + 3 study (complete 3 credits on-line summer 2020 and complete 3 credits in-country January 2021)
- ISA - Global remote internships
- CAPA - Study and Intern
- Sant’Anna Institute - Italian + cultural courses
- CIEE - Online classes
- CEA - Virtual Internships
- CIS Abroad - Virtual Spanish Classes
- USAC: On-line Courses & Virtual Internships
- API: Virtual Study Abroad & Virtual Global Internships - all in Spain! Optional 7 day Winter Break trip
- ISEP: Virtual Internships & Classes