About the ELP at VCU
As the preeminent urban, public intensive English program in Virginia, ELP’s mission is to prepare students for academic or career/personal success in English language proficiency through its commitment to the following:
- First-rate instruction and advising within a safe and caring environment;
- Comprehensive and structured curricula featuring academic preparation courses in several disciplines;
- ESL pedagogy within a learner-centered and culturally diverse program which encourages an environment of inclusion;
- Local and global partnerships to broaden the scope of educational opportunity and cultural understanding;
- Specialized short-term programs for students to advance English language learning for professional reasons.
The English Language Program will be the leading IEP in the mid-Atlantic region by providing every student with best practices in ESL instruction, learning and advising.
Integrity – to serve every student with the highest standards of honesty, professionalism and ethics;
Achievement – to ensure excellence in English language learning through best practices in instruction, research, and student services;
Collaboration – to promote collegiality among faculty, students and staff;
Innovation – to advance student creativity and originality independently and in group work;
Diversity – to enhance understanding and share knowledge about all cultures and to further diversify the student body;
The English Language Program is a member of the American Association of Intensive English Programs (AAIEP), an organization of nearly 300 intensive English language programs and associated service providers in the U.S. In Spring 2014, ELP was awarded five-year accreditation by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA).Back to top