Students who must take the test
You are required to take the English Language Placement Test if:
- You want to study in the English Language Program.
- You are admitted to VCU but need to satisfy the English language requirement.
The English Language Program placement test is very important because it determines a student's initial placement in the English Language Program.
- English Language Program students: You will automatically be registered for the test once you are accepted to the program and have paid the $170 application and testing fee.
- Students accepted into academic programs: Please complete the ELP Placement Test Reservation Form along with the $100 application and testing fee or the online payment confirmation sheet.
The placement test is given by the English Language Program. The test takes place at the following location:
English Language Program - Global Education Office
Virginia Commonwealth University
Grace Street Center, 3rd Floor
912 West Grace St.
Richmond, VA 23284
View information about the
- Arrive at your scheduled time to check in.
- Bring a valid photo ID (an identity document that includes a photograph such as a passport or a driver's license)
- Ask any questions you may have at GEO-ELP@vcu.edu
We provide all testing materials.
No cell phones, study guides, or other study aids are allowed in the testing room.
The English Language Program uses the Versant™ English Test for the placement test. It is computer-based, and it takes about 50 minutes. Sample test questions can be found on the Versant website.
You will receive your placement test results at the English Language Program orientation. Your class schedule will be based on your placement test scores.